Thursday, November 01, 2007

Newt Greengrich...

Somewhat to my surprise I found a newsletter email from Newt Gingrich in my inbox, a couple of days ago. I must have signed up some time ago and forgotten all about it. Even more to my surprise, I rather liked what I read. The headline chirped: Green Conservatism: A New Way of Thinking About the Environment. Now that's the kind of email title that gets me clicking...

The email is essentially a plug for Newt's new book, A Contract with the Earth, in which he (and his co-authors) outlines his vision for US green but conservative "environmentalism". Well, who'd have thunk it: seems Newt gets it when it comes to man-made global climate change. And there's more that I like too. Besides a little ubiquitous left-bashing (t'is election time after all!), Gingrich rather places more emphasis on technological solution to the looming potential catastrophe, than on (what he calls) big-government bureaucracy. I've been inclined to agree with that approach for quite a while now. There's only so much that can be achieved through forced population behavioural changes. The rest of carbon reductions will essentially have to be achieved by (lucrative!) technological innovations.

Here are Newt's musings in full (but the book plug is mine):

This week marks the launch of my new book, A Contract with the Earth.

I wrote it with my friend Terry Maple, who was once the head of Zoo Atlanta and is now president and CEO of the Palm Beach Zoo and professor of conservation and behavior at the Georgia Institute of Technology.

If I had to boil down the message of A Contract with the Earth to just a couple sentences, I would say it's this:

The left doesn't have the last word on how we protect our environment -- and neither do the folks who say we should sit back and do nothing.

The fact is, according to polling done by my grassroots organization, American Solutions, 95 percent of Americans believe we have an obligation to be good stewards of God's creation for future generations. Eighty-two percent said they believe so "intensely."

Over the last 36 years, I have watched the pro-regulation, pro-litigation, pro-taxation and pro-centralized-government advocates become the definers of environmentalism.

The left would have us believe that to be an environmentalist you have to believe in catastrophic threats, dramatic increases in government power and economically draconian solutions. Such a big-government bureaucracy, trial-lawyer-litigation and excessive-regulation "environmentalism" does a poor job of protecting the environment while it erodes individual freedom, destroys jobs and weakens our country.

The time has come to propose a fundamentally different approach to a healthy environment and a healthy economy.

The time has come for the development of a mainstream environmentalism as an alternative to big bureaucracy and big litigation environmentalism. You could call it "green conservatism," but it's really the mainstream environmental approach that has worked so well in the United States. President Theodore Roosevelt epitomized this approach when he said, "The movement for the conservation of wild life and the larger movement for the conservation of all our natural resources are essentially democratic in spirit, purpose and method."

A Better Way to Protect God's Creation

A Contract with the Earth, which is available in both book and audio form, describes a different -- and better -- way to protect God's creation.

Take this quick quiz:

  • Do you believe a healthy environment should be able to coexist with a healthy, growing economy?

  • Do you believe investments in science and technology will generate solutions to most of our environmental problems?

  • Do you believe incentives should be offered to encourage corporations to clean up the environment?


If you answered "yes" to most of these questions, you're probably in the environmental mainstream. You may even be a green conservative.

I'll have a lot more to say about A Contract with the Earth and new ways of thinking about protecting our environment in the weeks and months ahead. For now, you can read more about green conservatism at ContractWithTheEarth.com.


I wonder if Newt is going to be considered a Quisling of the left by the hordes of deeply conservative Gore-haters?

2 Comments:

At 5:56 PM, Blogger Cookie..... said...

Several years back, before I knew very much about Newt Gingrich, I used to refer to him as a "goof", mostly because I never really listened very closely to what he was saying...

I've now seen and listened to him on various media programs (MSM included)...and I had to admit that I really liked what the man was saying...he was alot smarter than I gave him credit for...and to quote you.."Who'd a thunk it?"

Cookie

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger Gert said...

I thought you might like this post...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home