Monday, April 10, 2006

Another Terrorist Bites the Dust?

No, I didn't think so...


'Unlawful killing' of Gaza Briton

Tom Hurndall died nine months after falling into a coma.

A Briton shot dead by an Israeli soldier in Gaza was "intentionally killed", an inquest has ruled.

Tom Hurndall, 22, from Tufnell Park, north London, was shot in April 2003 as he moved children away from the Israeli army in the Palestinian town of Rafah.

A soldier has already been jailed for his manslaughter, but Mr Hurndall's family believe blame goes higher up.

The coroner is to write to the Attorney General about the case and the death of James Miller, shot three weeks later.

Tom Hurndall died from his injuries nine months after he was shot.

A five man, five woman jury at St Pancras Coroners Court in London ruled that he had been unlawfully killed.

The jury said: "He was shot intentionally with the intention of killing him.

"The jury would like to express its dismay with the lack of cooperation from the Israeli authorities."

Speaking after the verdict, Anthony Hurndall, Tom's father said: "It's now down to the British Government to take action.

"There have been five officers of the Israeli army named in the proceedings today and they should be investigated by the government here.

"British citizens in Israel are not safe, nor are the local civilians safe.

Private prosecution

"So, both as a matter to protect British citizens but also as a matter of the Geneva Conventions Act, the British government is obliged to pursue those who commit any war crime and illegal killing is a war crime under the Geneva Conventions Act."

He said that he would consider bringing a private prosecution against the individuals he believes killed his son.

Earlier Jocelyn Hurndall, Tom's mother, told the jury, she received an e-mail from Tom hours before his death, saying he wondered what it would be like to be shot and said he was eager to "make a difference".

Ex-soldier Taysir Hayb is serving eight years in jail for Mr Hurndall's manslaughter.



At 6:21 PM, Blogger Sophia said...

From the Guardian:
Israel boycotting the inquest:
''Ian Hook was killed in November 2002 and in December last year an inquest jury ruled that he had been unlawfully killed and the victim of a "deliberate killing". The UN said that Hook, 50, who led a house reconstruction programme in Jenin camp, was sitting in his office when he was hit by several bullets.

The sentencing of the soldier is the best example of Israel's boycott of the inquest. It says, look, we have someone behind bars and don't go further in your questions to know if the soldier acted according to the rules given to him by jis superiors and the Israeli army.

Last week an inquest jury found that cameraman James Miller was unlawfully killed by an Israeli soldier who shot him dead in May 2003, just weeks after Tom Hurndall was shot, and just a mile away.

Like last week, the inquest will be held at St Pancras coroners court, north London, before Andrew Reid.

Mrs Hurndall said: "It was deliberate. Tom was targeted, intentionally. I think the soldier was shooting to kill."

Unlike the other two Britons, an Israeli soldier has been jailed for eight year for Mr Hurndall's manslaughter. Sergeant Taysir Hayb admitted he was lying when he said the peace activist was carrying a gun, but said he was under orders to open fire even on unarmed people.

He told the military court that after shooting Mr Hurndall he had reported it to his commander: "I told him that I did what I'm supposed to: anyone who enters a firing zone must be taken out. [The commander] always says this."

Mrs Hurndall's fears were stoked when the soldier said at his court case: "The [Israeli army] fires freely in Rafah." ''

At 2:12 PM, Blogger Gert said...

On the Hurndall verdict, the BBC hasn't reported at all on the box.

At least James Miller's verdict got 30 seconds...


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home