Friday, September 28, 2007

Bill Orally on Harlem Restaurants

The Giant HeadGoofy's at it again. Is the Giant Head a racist? Of course... He might not be a hater but he belongs to that typical soft-power Jim Crow variety of Whitey, the sort that inherently believes that blacks really have nothing but themselves to blame, because, well, innately they're, well... not white... You find this white superiority complex all over the West with regards to our attitudes to all non-whites, today most prominently with respect to Arabs. And Iraqis, Bill-O has indicated unequivocally, he doesn't like either. They lack that WASPish work ethos I guess. Bill, you're a buffoon. Only on Shox Noise...

From MediaMatters

During the September 19 edition of his nationally syndicated radio program, discussing his recent trip to have dinner with Rev. Al Sharpton at Sylvia's, a famous restaurant in Harlem, Bill O'Reilly reported that he "had a great time, and all the people up there are tremendously respectful," adding: "I couldn't get over the fact that there was no difference between Sylvia's restaurant and any other restaurant in New York City. I mean, it was exactly the same, even though it's run by blacks, primarily black patronship." Later, during a discussion with National Public Radio senior correspondent and Fox News contributor Juan Williams about the effect of rap on culture, O'Reilly asserted: "There wasn't one person in Sylvia's who was screaming, 'M-Fer, I want more iced tea.' You know, I mean, everybody was -- it was like going into an Italian restaurant in an all-white suburb in the sense of people were sitting there, and they were ordering and having fun. And there wasn't any kind of craziness at all." O'Reilly also stated: "I think black Americans are starting to think more and more for themselves. They're getting away from the Sharptons and the [Rev. Jesse] Jacksons and the people trying to lead them into a race-based culture. They're just trying to figure it out. 'Look, I can make it. If I work hard and get educated, I can make it."


Update:

Following a commenter's suggestion, I've looked into Bill-O's side of the story and that more or less checks out. Perhaps those words were pulled out of context. But they remain rather puzzling things to say. And Bill hasn't helped himself a lot by promptly going on the counter-attack, instead of perhaps seeking clarification first.

Media-smearing comes from all sides of the political spectrum, it's neither the prerogative of the left or the right.

On this one, I'm inclined to give O'Reilly the benefit of the doubt, perhaps against better judgment (in view of what I've heard from him before), but he said what he said and it sounded very odd, in context or outside of it...



Blogrush_logo
Get targeted traffic to your blog! Want more returning readers? Blogrush is 100% FREE, totally hands-free and automatically finds readers that are interested in your blog's content. See your blog traffic explode... No spam or abuse, no ads to run on your blog, just targeted traffic rushing to your blog. Less than 5 minutes to sign up (click). Or click logo to view a short presentation to see how it works. Why wait?

7 Comments:

At 1:30 PM, Blogger Cookie..... said...

If your gonna post shit like this from MediaMatters...at least have the decency to also post that fact that the entire story was determined to be false, and his comments were completely taken out of context, as evidenced by Al Sharpton and Juan Williams...both blabk men who respect Bill O'Reilly. PLEASE research what I just stated, at least for your own edification....

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger Cookie..... said...

Ya know Gert....something else which actually puzzles me. I see you as a rational thinker (as evidenced by several of your posts...like the global warming one). Your obviously very intellectual...but you immediately believed a very questionable news source like MediaMatters without investigating the story at all....this truly puzzles me ...unless it's because you WANT to believe what you read about Bill, and other conservative thinking folks....could that be the case Gert???

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger Gert said...

Cookie:

If what you say is correct, I'll retract immediately. Point me in the right direction and I'll research it.

I don't deny being biased against Bill-O: unfortunately I've witnessed him saying things that really almost blew my head.

But if I'm wrong on this one, then I'm wrong. Like I said, tell me where to look and I will ASAP and PDQ.

"unless it's because you WANT to believe what you read about Bill, and other conservative thinking folks....could that be the case Gert???"

We're all biased, inevitable. It's part of the human condition...

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger Cookie..... said...

Got your message mate. Go to billoreilly.com and follow the various links, mainly "Media Research", but there are other posts with Jesse Jackson as well. It's an interview that was on the Radio Factor thats in question....

Even Al Sharpton, who O'Reilly was having dinner with when the alleged incident happened denied that O'Reill said what the MSM stated that he said...

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Cookie..... said...

P.S....up until yesterday, you could have listened to the entire radio factor transcript (the program in question)from beginning to end, (I did), and made up your own mind. When listening to it, thats where one see's where all his remarks where taken COMPLETELY out of context...

 
At 5:37 PM, Blogger Cookie..... said...

Thank You on the honest update. Your remark about all of being bias in some way or another is spot on...won't disagree...but even though there are many commentators, news programs and pundits out there whom I do not like or care for...I generally check whatever is being alleged before I re-print or comment myself..

 
At 5:43 PM, Blogger Gert said...

Cookie:

I, on this occasion, didn't see O'Reilly make these comments live. So naturally I was inclined to accept what I read about the "incident". Usually I do look at both sides of the story but these words do act like a red rag on a bull with me.

As usual this will all blow over and it's already yesterday's "news"... The world keeps turning.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home